Friday, July 27, 2012

Feet: They Get You There

(...With a number extraordinary exceptions, of course.)

I'm on a new kick where I run places. That sounds a little simplistic, but what I mean is I'm actually running to places. As opposed to "going for a run", I am "running to a friend's house", or "running home from work", or "running an errand" (rim shot!). I'm starting to use my feet for the purpose they are designed to serve - human-powered, unassisted propulsion from point A to point B.

I'm finding this new perspective valuable in a surprising way. Namely, I am taking away my own excuses. No time for a good run this week because of issues blah, blah, and blah? Why can't I incorporate a run, short or long, into the blah? Stop putting up barriers like I don't have my good running gear, or I can't run with a backpack on, or It'll probably be too warm to run? Excuses like that are what keep me from reaching my goal mileage for the week, and they are easy to give in to once a pattern is set. If I choose not to run at all because of the weather today, I will continue to rely on that excuse whenever it seems like it might rain, or it might be too warm, instead of just getting out the door and seeing how far my feet take me.

So with that, I am hopefully entering a new, inspired era as a runner. And I'm hoping this blog will help me stay on track (rim shot #2!) and keep me motivated to grow and learn about myself as an athlete.

For now, I am doing that by remembering my new mantra: Feet: They Get You There.


No comments:

Post a Comment